ARGMAX LÀ GÌ

  -  

Argmax is a mathematical function that you may encounter in applied machine learning.Bạn đã xem: Argmax là gì

For example, you may see “argmax” or “arg max” used in a retìm kiếm paper used to describe an algorithm. You may also be instructed to use the argmax function in your algorithm implementation.

Bạn đang xem: Argmax là gì

This may be the first time that you encounter the argmax function and you may wonder what it is & how it works.

In this tutorial, you will discover the argmax function và how it is used in machine learning.

After completing this tutorial, you will know:

Argmax is an operation that finds the argument that gives the maximum value from a target function.Argmax is most commonly used in machine learning for finding the class with the largest predicted probability.Argmax can be implemented manually, although the argmax() NumPy function is preferred in practice.

Kick-start your project with my new book Linear Algebra for Machine Learning, including step-by-step tutorials & the Pynhỏ bé source code files for all examples.

Let’s get started.


*

What Is argmax in Machine Learning?Photo by Bernard Spragg. NZ, some rights reserved.

Tutorial Overview

This tutorial is divided into lớn three parts; they are:

What Is Argmax?How Is Argmax Used in Machine Learning?How lớn Implement Argmax in Python

What Is Argmax?

Argmax is a mathematical function.

It is typically applied khổng lồ another function that takes an argument. For example, given a function g() that takes the argument x, the argmax operation of that function would be described as follows:

result = argmax(g(x))

The argmax function returns the argument or arguments (arg) for the target function that returns the maximum (max) value from the target function.

Consider the example where g(x) is calculated as the square of the x value và the domain name or extent of input đầu vào values (x) is limited to lớn integers from 1 khổng lồ 5:

g(1) = 1^2 = 1g(2) = 2^2 = 4g(3) = 3^2 = 9g(4) = 4^2 = 16g(5) = 5^2 = 25

We can intuitively see that the argmax for the function g(x) is 5.

That is, the argument (x) lớn the target function g() that results in the largest value from the target function (25) is 5. Argmax provides a shorthvà for specifying this argument in an abstract way without knowing what the value might be in a specific case.

argmax(g(x)) = 5

cảnh báo that this is not the max() of the values returned from function. This would be 25.

It is also not the max() of the arguments, although in this case the argmax & max of the arguments is the same, e.g. 5. The argmax() is 5 because g returns the largest value (25) when 5 is provided, not because 5 is the largest argument.

Typically, “argmax” is written as two separate words, e.g. “arg max“. For example:

result = arg max(g(x))

It is also comtháng to lớn use the arg max function as an operation without brackets surrounding the target function. This is often how you will see the operation written and used in a research paper or textbook. For example:

result = arg max g(x)

You can also use a similar operation to find the arguments to lớn the target function that result in the minimum value from the target function, called argmin or “arg min.”

How Is Argmax Used in Machine Learning?

Nevertheless, there are specific situations where you will see argmax used in applied machine learning và may need to lớn implement it yourself.

Xem thêm: Cách Bắt Pokemon Huyền Thoại Trong Pokemon Defense Final, Hướng Dẫn Chơi Pokemon Defense Không Lọt

The most comtháng situation for using argmax that you will encounter in applied machine learning is in finding the index of an array that results in the largest value.

Regọi that an array is a danh mục or vector of numbers.

It is comtháng for multi-class classification models to lớn predict a vector of probabilities (or probability-like values), with one probability for each class label. The probabilities represent the likelihood that a sample belongs lớn each of the class labels.

The predicted probabilities are ordered such that the predicted probability at index 0 belongs khổng lồ the first class, the predicted probability at index 1 belongs to the second class, and so on.

Often, a single class label prediction is required from a mix of predicted probabilities for a multi-class classification problem.

This conversion from a vector of predicted probabilities to lớn a class label is most often described using the argmax operation và most often implemented using the argmax function.

Let’s make this concrete with an example.

Consider a multi-class classification problem with three classes: “red“, “blue,” and “green.” The class labels are mapped to integer values for modeling, as follows:

red = 0blue = 1green = 2

Each class label integer values maps lớn an index of a 3-element vector that may be predicted by a model specifying the likelihood that an example belongs khổng lồ each class.

Consider a Mã Sản Phẩm has made one prediction for an đầu vào sample và predicted the following vector of probabilities:

yhat =

We can see that the example has a 40 percent probability of belonging to red, a 50 percent probability of belonging to xanh, & a 10 percent probability of belonging khổng lồ green.

We can apply the argmax function to lớn the vector of probabilities. The vector is the function, the output of the function is the probabilities, và the đầu vào to the function is a vector element index or an array index.

arg max yhat

We can intuitively see that in this case, the argmax of the vector of predicted probabilities (yhat) is 1, as the probability at array index 1 is the largest value.

lưu ý that this is not the max() of the probabilities, which would be 0.5. Also note that this is not the max of the arguments, which would be 2. Instead it is the argument that results in the maximum value, e.g. 1 that results in 0.5.

arg max yhat = 1

We can then bản đồ this integer value baông chồng lớn a class label, which would be “blue.”

arg max yhat = “blue”

How khổng lồ Implement Argmax in Python

The argmax function can be implemented in Python for a given vector of numbers.

Xem thêm: Trò Chơi Biểu Diễn Thời Trang, Game Trình Diễn Thời Trang Công Chúa

Argmax from Scratch

First, we can define a function called argmax() that enumerates a provided vector và returns the index with the largest value.